Never having used an actual sewing pattern before, I thought I’d be brave this weekend. Cue breaking out the tracing paper, iron transfer pencil and headache tablets. I didn’t actually use that last item but came close! The pattern itself was straightforward to trace and cut but the sewing instructions assumed a basic level of knowledge I didn’t think they would. The pattern, from Burda, rated it a beginner’s 1 out of 4 but hardly explained anything. Considering it needs you to sew in a zip and make your own bias binding and work with ever changing seam allowances, I remain to be convinced of it’s beginners claims. It took ages, hours longer than it should have done. I’m not 100% happy with my binding on the neck nor my zip placement but I think I did good for a first attempt.